Directs, coordinates and participates in the preparation of assigned estimates based on an Owner’s/Architect’s designs through construction documents. Responsible for all functions that may be required during preconstruction including value engineering, schedules, logistics, procurement, alternative and comparative studies. Manages and is responsible for the work of Pre-Con Managers and Estimators as assigned. Is responsible for the protection and promotion of the interest of Shaw Construction and for positive client relationships during the preconstruction phase.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the accuracy of the estimate.
- Reviews drawings, specifications and all other construction documents and makes Director of Preconstruction Services, Vice President and others involved in the project aware of construction related problems, completeness of information and potential risks involved in General Conditions and Supplementary Conditions.
- Performs constructability reviews with owner and architect.
- Evaluates and maintains historical cost database(s).
- Responsible for the preparation of preliminary estimates and studies during preconstruction, monitors design development cost trends in order to detect over-runs and potential problem areas. Participates in the value engineering process.
- Participates in the preparation of construction schedule for estimating purposes; requests and discusses staffing requirements, and logistics plan with Construction Manager or Project Manager.
- Prepares General Conditions estimate and reviews with Director of Preconstruction, Vice President, Construction Manager and Project Manager assigned to the project.
- Supports Business Development in proposal presentations, aids in building client and Architect/Engineer relationships.
- Reviews and advises on assigned estimates prepared by other assigned estimators. Maintains current estimating records, studies, unit prices, etc.
- Assists Project Manager in evaluating and analyzing subcontractor proposals.
- Consistently promotes a professional image in all business matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Estimator(s) and Senior Estimator(s)
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management or similar is preferable.
- Minimum of 8 years of vertical building estimating experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Thorough knowledge of building construction, materials, systems, market conditions and trade practices, including sustainable building practices.
- Ability to conceptualize a project using minimal information and the ability to quickly develop an understanding of the Owner/Architect requirements.
- Ability to provide an imaginative and innovative approach to improve the project.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with On-Screen Take-off, iSqft, Timberline Estimating and Primavera scheduling programs.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office 365
- LEED Certification